Thursday, December 28, 2006

The tamper handles we use here at Mercury are called the Radical Pro. They do look a little strange at first but after a little adjusting, I'm thanking the stars (or whomever decided to order them for us). They encourage proper technique and let me tell you, after pouring 100 or so espresso a day, I need all the help I can get. It simply does not allow shortcuts because of the way it's designed. You could try to fit your palm over it in a pinch but you'll find very quickly that it's really not worth it to cheat. Any barista complaining about carpal tunnel syndrome (or whatever you want to call it) will want one of these. While it doesn't cure anything, it certainly is great preventive measure. No offense to the traditional Reg Barber designs of course.

I would also like to take the time to welcome our newest barista-in-training, Reza. From what I can tell Reza is an eccentric character with an innate ability to pour good espresso. Either that, or I'm a good teacher. I'm inclined to believe the former. ;)

love,
alex

No comments: