Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hello; my name is Alice DiBergi. I'm a filmmaker. I make a lot of commercials. That little dog that chases the covered wagon underneath the sink? That was mine. In 2005, I went down to Greenwich Village, New York City to an espresso bar called Electric Banana. Don't look for it; it's not there anymore. But that night, I was introduced to baristas that for me redefined the word "Pull and Pour". I remember being knocked out by their... their exuberance, their raw power - and their punctuality. That bunch was Toronto's now-legendary Mercury Staff. Two years and two shops later, The mercury staff is still going strong. And they've earned a distinguished place in Espresso Bar History as one of Toronto's loudest joints. So in the late fall of 2007, when I heard that Merc was opening a new shop called Mercury "Smell the Glove" on Main, and was planning their first of 2 new locations after 2 years, well needless to say I jumped at the chance to make the documentary - the, if you will, "rockumentary" - that you're about to see. I wanted to capture the... the sights, the sounds... the smells of a hard-working espresso bar. And I got that; I got more... a lot more. But hey, enough of my yakkin'; whaddaya say? Let's boogie!

Well kids. If it's a blog referencing Spinal Tap... it's got to be a berg original.
Its just gotta be!

1 comment:

KS said...

i stopped by mercury on main on the weekend and saw the big bags of kid-o on display. the old elektra was working its magic on main.